Friday, May 29, 2009

CD/DVD Drive Gone after Vista SP2 install. WTF?!

A major download (300MB+) and install of Vista Service Pack 2 left my cd/dvd drive undetectable by Windows Explorer, Nero, Roxio and other programs. Heck it wouldn't even appear in Device Manager. For all intents and purposes, the drive was gone.

I Googled and found two fixes from Microsoft. I did both but immediately after each try, nothing seemed to happen. I gave up, shut down and went to bed. When I booted up this morning ready to search for a new fix I did a quick check and, lo and behold, my cd/dvd drive was there in Windows Explorer and Device Manager. I burned a dvd using Nero and it's been fine ever since. Vista continues to mistify...

If you find yourself in the same boat, here are the fixes. Like I said, I don't know exactly which one of them actually did the trick.

1. Article ID: 314060 - Last Review: April 7, 2009 - Revision: 6.0 "Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs", and

2. CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media. [Fix It] MicrosoftAutomated Troubleshooting Services 1.0

No. 2 won't work on FireFox (surprise!) so be ready to dig up your IE.

No comments:

Might be of interest: